Welcome to High Intensity Care Model (HICM)
(Updated October 22nd, 2018)
High Intensity Care Model is a program designed to help the most complex BCBSM Medicare Advantage PPO patients manage their health conditions, coordinate their health care, and achieve optimal health. Services include, care management, in-home assessment by an RN and SW, as well as other support services delivered face-to-face, often in the patient’s home, and over the telephone by a trained team of interdisciplinary health care professionals who work collaboratively with the patient, the patient’s family, and the patient’s primary physician. These professionals deliver HICM services that address patients’ medical, behavioral, and psychosocial needs. Integrating care management into the clinical practice setting is a key component of the patient centered medical home care model fostered by BCBSM in its efforts to transform Michigan’s health care delivery.
High Intensity Care Model—Core Services
- Comprehensive health care assessment by PCP, NP, or PA with full diagnoses capture, advance planning
- Comprehensive care management assessment
- Patient-specific comprehensive care plan
- Care transitions management for hospital and SNF transitions, and access to a palliative care team
- Care coordination
High Intensity Care Model Training Requirements
(Updated December 21th, 2016)
The training requirements for New HICM Care Managers who work with complex patients includes:
- Completion of the MICMT Complex Care Management Course offered by MICMT. Online registration. See the CCM Course Flyer (PDF) for more information.
HICM specific self-study module
HICM specific case study
HICM specific evaluation
- Completion of an approved self-management support training program is not required. For more information on this training, the MICMT-Approved Self-Management Support Program Summary (PDF) provides a list and description of these programs.
For questions regarding courses or for additional information, please contact email@example.com